Wednesday, May 29, 2013

An Introduction

  Hello!  My name is Holly Howarth Tippetts.  I've been designing and making jewelry, as well as creating various other unique accessories, for over 10 years.  While I do make a living selling my work, this blog is not meant to sell you things!  Instead, it's a place where I can share where I've gotten some of my ideas and what the finished product turned out like.  I probably won't post more than a couple of times a month, and when I do post, I'll try to keep it interesting!  I admit to hoping that maybe, just maybe, one of my posts will bring the same passion to you as it did to me.

I grew up participating in a medieval and renaissance reenactment group, the Society for Creative Anachronisms or SCA (www.sca.org).  This has definitely flavored my tastes in jewelry!  I get most of my inspiration from the renaissance and ancient Roman time periods, through portraits, extant pieces, and descriptions in contemporary accounts.  It's amazing the amount of items that have survived for hundreds or even thousands of years, and though some people tend to think of anything made before modern times as crude and clumsy, the opposite is often the case!  For instance, did you know that some glass making techniques that were used in renaissance Italy cannot be duplicated today?

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy my adventures through time and fashion.  If you have questions about my work, or have something to add to my research, please let me know!  I always welcome input.

No comments:

Post a Comment